Saturday, September 19, 2026

September 19, 1968

 Every year, on September 19th, the day my father’s plane went down,  I post a tribute to my father. He was killed in Thailand while returning from a mission over Vietnam. That moment defined the rest of my life.


My teacher, at that time, was truly incredible! She met me at the door each morning and let me come into the classroom and do little jobs in order to get acclimated before the rest of my class arrived.  She came to my high school graduation. She was my Calm Space while I was in college, allowing me to come to her home when things got crazy and overwhelming in the dorm.  I had an open invitation to Sunday Dinner. She is the reason I became a teacher


All of this goes back to that moment that I lost my father.  I hope and pray that the ripples I created for my former students are half as strong as the ones my teacher created for me.



1. My dad’s grave marker in New York 2. “High Flight” an Air Force prayer 3. My dad with his mom and step-father 4. My dad with Peter Nash, who survived the crash  5.  My dad   6. A photo of my dad’s name on the Vietnam Wall-Roger O. Clemens


No comments:

Post a Comment