Monday, November 26, 2018

What Was I Even Worried About?


About a year ago, I was blessed to attend the ECET2-KS (Elevating and Celebrating Effective Teaching and Teachers in Kansas) Conference in Overland Park, KS. One of the events that took place during this conference was a Q & A session with the State Commissioner of Education, Dr. Randy Watson. I was challenged by my table-mates to ask Dr. Watson what he saw full-day preschool looking like. Here's how that conversation went:

Me: “Can you please tell us what your thinking is on moving to a full-day preschool program in the
state of Kansas?”
Dr. Watson: “Why do you ask?”
Me: “Because I was teaching half-day kindergarten when that moved to a full-day program and I have
really strong feelings about shoving developmentally, inappropriate academics dow the throats
of my little people.”
Dr. Watson: “Who said anything about more academics?”
Me: “That's what happened when kindergarten went to full-day.”
Dr. Watson: “Listen. I believe that every child under the age of eight should have a play-based
education. Young children learn best through play.”
He received a standing ovation!

Fast forward to this school year. Many of you know that I changed districts. The one I moved to, Nickerson/South Hutchinson School District, also went to a full-day preschool program for their four year-old class for the first time. Let me tell you: I don't even know what I was worried about. Full-day is fantastic!! There is so much more time for relationship-building. I am able to get to know the kids and their families so much better! The students have much more opportunities for play! The students are able to go to “Specials” (PE, Computer Lab, Music, Counselor, Library). They can learn from other adults in the building. The students have more time to make friends and bond with one another! Full-day preschool is simply an amazing opportunity for children and for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment