Saturday, December 9, 2017

My "Why"


My “Why”

     Backstory:  A couple of weeks ago, I received a letter from one of the first students I had in kindergarten when moving to our current community.  It was so touching that I literally cried!  I contacted the student’s teacher and asked when their class goes to lunch, so I could surprise this student.  Working with her mom, I learned that her grandmother is in hospice.   Her mom called my previous school to give me permission to come at lunch.
     I walked into the lunchroom.  The class wasn’t there yet.  However, my last kindergarten class, now second graders, was.  I was greeted with lots of “Mrs. Jenkins!!” and one particular little girl jumped up from her seat and into my arms!  She said, “I thought you forgot about us!”  With tears in my eyes, I told her, “Never!”
     By this time, the sixth grade students had begun filing in.  I didn’t see my letter-writing friend, so I asked her teacher where she was.  Her teacher pointed to the lunch-from-home table.  As I walked over, she didn’t see me coming.  I sat down next to her.  She turned, her mouth dropped open, and she threw her arms around my neck and started crying!  Other students that I’d had in kindergarten came over and were giving me hugs and high-fives.  The whole time the young lady held on for dear life! 
     Friends!  This is my “why!”  This is why I do what I do and love what I do.  It’s about making a difference in the lives of my students!  When I needed that reminder the most, God provided it with all the love I was able to feel in that school cafeteria.  Lunch was supposed to be about the young lady.  However, my bucket was filled, as well!  I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment