When I was teaching in Nickerson, KS, the teacher of the three-year olds and I got permission to do seasonal Family Engagement activities with our joined classes and their families. It was so much fun to see the adults in our students’ lives interacting with them in fun, educational, engaging activities with their children.
After relocating to Topeka, I asked my new principal if I could continue that tradition, making it a monthly event. News of this activity reached The Topeka Education Foundation. I was encouraged by one of the members to apply for their grant. Filling out the documentation was grueling, but I was awarded a grant to offset my cost for supplies. The following year I did not apply, in order to give others a chance to receive monetary donations from the foundation. A member came to me that spring, asking if they could donate to this activity anyway.
The following year, I filled out the documentation once again. Again, I was awarded the grant!
One year, a few of the Topeka Education Foundation even came to help out with Fun Family Friday!
While having Fun Family Friday took a lot of planning and energy, it was completely worth it! Having families of my students in the class was nothing short of amazing! The adults in the lives of my students were able to get to know one another and family members got a glimpse of life in the classroom. Most definitely a win-win experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment