Wednesday, October 12, 2022

A Defining Moment

     Five years ago was a defining moment for me, professionally.  This post showed up in my Facebook memories today.  Five years ago, I had only heard of Jim Sporleder and his work with  students in trauma.  Then he came to our little town of Hutchinson, KS.  He only spoke to the district administration, but the community was invited to hear him speak later that same evening.  This was a chance in a lifetime! And gosh, I'm glad I did!  This man, my edu-hero, gave a name to what I always thought teaching should be! I left that speaking engagement in tears! I was so grateful.

 On this day

5 years ago
 
Shared with Your friends
Friends
I.AM.SO.THERE. 💜
No photo description available.
Jim Sporleder, who worked with a Walla Walla, Wash., high school to change attitudes and responses to student trauma and lives spoke Thursday morning to USD 308 administrators. Those changes led to fewer student behavior issues, higher test scores and higher graduation rates.
And both students and staff felt they were being heard and respected.
Sporleder will speak at a community event at 6:30 this evening at CrossPoint, 1410 E. 30th Ave. The public is invited to attend.

 Not only that, but then I mentioned wanting a copy of his book during a Twitter Chat. He saw the tweet and sent me an autographed copy of his book. Then I was blessed to meet him, in person, at a conference. I consider him a mentor and a friend!  Meeting him was a defining moment for me because he gave a name to how I still believe teaching should be and how I strive to reach my students each day!




No comments:

Post a Comment