Sunday, June 26, 2022

Brave Space


     These images have been sitting on my desktop for awhile now, I have been trying to find the words in the hope that sharing my story will help others.

     Every life has a purpose, a meaning.  Sometimes the things you go through, the things that are meant to break you, only serve to make you stronger.  When this is the case, you should share your story so that it may help others.
     Trauma: Losing my father, shortly after my 7th birthday, when his plane went down during the Vietnam War.  I am grateful to my second grade teacher every single day for helping this very sad and very scared little girl. She is why I became a teacher.  Many of my followers know this story. When I wrote my book about the importance of family engagement in a child's educational process, I dedicated it to her.


     Abuse: A near rape in college. There is no doubt in my mind that it would have been had the police not been on my dorm floor and I threatened to scream.  His football career wold have been over.


     Spousal abuse:  Cheating, cheating, and more cheating. I did leave? Three different times. The first time, he cancelled my credit cards and access to our joint account.  I took my next paycheck and opened my own account.  The next time he punched me so hard that the bruising went from my bicep and into my breast.  The last time, I came home from a trip to see my brother and found sparkling panty hose in the guest bed, that didn't belong to me.    Long story, short: For my I did leave, for good. 
     Medical anxiety: During my baseline colonscopy, the doctor found "encapsulated cancerous cells."  The big "C" word is scary!  Three years of colonoscopies every six months is scary.  I am now on the five-year plan, praise the Lord.
     Borderline diabetic.  Nope. Not having that.  Got rid of it with diet and exercise. Yay, me!
     

     Triggers: ALL.THE.TIME.  Words, phrases, dates in history.  All of these can trigger emotions, either about my father or the ex.  It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing. Triggers can be smells, music, sights, and words. 


     I share this only to say, if you need someone to listen to, if you need help getting out of a toxic place, I am hope that my story can help you.  I am here. I see you. I hear you.
     I have been so many women and I am a survivor!  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment