Tuesday, May 17, 2022

More than a Number on a Spreadsheet

      I cannot and will not be silent anymore! This madness has got to stop!  Our children are more than just a randome data point on someone's spreadsheet.  They are human beings. They have bad days and good days. Just like everyone else.  To refer to them by the number they show at any given day of the week is just so wrong!

     I cannot emphasize enough that standardized tests are just a snapshot of one moment in time. In no way does it tell you the most important things about that child, like do they have a safe place to live, do they have food and clothing? Is someone home at night to read to them?  THAT'S what's important about each child!

     As I sit here, trying to put in end-of-the-year data on my preschoolers, I can't help but think that in no way doe this reflect who my students are.  It's not right!  It's not fair!  My students are so mjuch more than what the precious data shows!

***End of Rant***



No comments:

Post a Comment