Thursday, June 18, 2020

You CAN Go Home.

home /hōm/. noun: home; plural noun: homes. a place where something flourishes, is most typically found, or from which it originates.

You can take a girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
     Last month, after being virtually locked down for eight weeks, I grabbed the opportunity to go home, to Northeast Nebraska, to the farm where I grew up.  I spent a week! I can't remember the last time I was able to spend a week on the farm. Typically, for me now, it's a long weekend here and there.  It was glorious!  I love springtime on the farm! Everything was green and flowering. There were calves chasing each other through the pasture. There were kittens. After being isolated, due to the pandemic, for so long, it did my heart and soul so much good to see all of this rebirth.
     My parents are still able to live on the farm and for that, I am very thankful. To spend a week with them and watch them reaffirmed that this is their happy place.  My dad, who is nearly 94, gets around now with a walker or cane. He'll still climb in his pickup and drive around the farm to "check on things," and sit on their front porch to watch the world go by.
     My mom has learned to drive the zero-turn mower and you should see her go!  Her flower garden is beautiful and her vegetable garden is tilled with tender loving care. Together, they have lived and loved on that farm for fifty-one years. It was so relaxing and heart-warming to spend so much time with them.
     Who says you can't go home? 


No comments:

Post a Comment