Saturday, April 28, 2018

Still Trying to Process


Still Trying to Process

     Friends. I.CAN’T.EVEN.  I’m still trying hard to process everything I heard and learned at the Bridging to Resilience Conference I attended in Overland Park, KS last week. 
     I am humbled to have been in the company of such brave and courageous young people, who shared their stories of hope.  I think that’s the thing that has hit me the hardest.  These young people, who have experienced poverty, abuse, homelessness, addictions, bullying; the list could go on and on.  These young people bravely got up on the stage, in front of nearly 400 people, and shared their stories.  Now their stories of courage and of hope, and of resilience should be a lesson to us all!  These teens are nothing short of amazing!

     The brave women, who were part of a parent panel, who also shared their brave stories; stories of how their poverty, their addictions, their abusive situations, impacted the lives of their children.  They shared the hard work they each put forth in order to have a better life for themselves and their children.  In addition, they shared very real, very painful ways that we, as educators, put them in difficult spots.  Home visits (“Do you want me coming into your home and passing judgment?  Even if that judgment is unintentional, we can see it on your faces.”).  Classroom requests (“Billy needs a sack lunch for the field trip...tomorrow.  Folks.  I don’t have dollar one in my pocket to do this on such short notice.”)  We do these families such a huge disservice when we don’t seek to understand their circumstances, friends!  So powerful!
     Because I’m still processing, I’m going to leave this blog here, for now, and blog more later, as I continue to process.  These people are the ones that touched me the most.  These once-broken, resilient, courageous people who shared their most personal stories with those of us blessed enough to attend this conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment