Sunday, April 26, 2015

     My thoughts on parental involvement and support:
     I feel that parents are a tremendous insight to who the little people are in my classroom!  To that end, I have made it a priority to involve parents in the activities in my classroom. This is what I do.  If you do not have a comfort level with my ideas, please think about picking and choosing.
     As soon as my class list is finalized, I call each and every family.  I introduce myself as their child's first teacher in the public education setting.  I invite them to Meet the Teacher Night, which, in our district, is held the night before their child starts kindergarten.  I also ask them if there is anything they would like me to know about their child and if they have any questions of me. I feel that this helps with their comfort-level.  Additionally, if a concern arises, I feel that including them early helps the conversation be more productive.
     At Meet the Teacher night, I have a sheet for parents to sign if they would be interested in volunteering in the classroom.  Parents signing this sheet have done a number of activities to help make the school year go more smoothly.  This can be anything from taking home things I may need cut out or pr-eassembled, helping with field trips, helping with classroom and/or school celebrations, giving students Accelerated Reader quizzes, and helping to man the stations for our annual Christmas Crafting Day.
     I also give parents my cell phone number(No.  It cannot be traced to your home like a landline can).  I include a disclaimer that I will not answer calls before 6:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.  Nothing I would say between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. would make any sense, anyway.  My brain is shot by then!  They are free to leave a voicemail and/or text me.  (I put my cell phone on "vibrate" at 9:00 p.m.)  In the six years I have offered this, not a single parent has EVER abused this.
     I also have a "secret" Facebook group for my class each year.  This is a good way to give updates, share information, ask for volunteers, and post classroom pictures without the whole world seeing it.  Because of the "secret" status of the group, only group members can see the postings.  Parents love seeing what is happening in the class and ways that they can help!!


No comments:

Post a Comment